Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's so Damn HOT - Milk was a Bad Choice - Pea Pesto Might Not Be...

Hi Guys, as our fellow Washingtonians know it is HOT outside. This week's temperatures are supposed to be some of the hottest of the summer, and it's so humid you don't know if you're sweating or if it's just the air sticking to you.  As much as I love the outdoors, I have decided to force myself to stay inside as much as possible to wait out the duration of this horrendous heat and humidity wave.  I figured that since you're all inside you might want to give this really simple recipe a try...

Just because you're stuck in the confines of your own (in our case) tiny apartment it doesn't mean you should be reduced to eating cheese sandwiches.  I have found that the days that MUST be spend indoors can be a great time for kitchen experimentation.  I have created pretty delicious treats from some of the ingredients in my kitchen.  One of my favorites is a pesto made from peas - this is pretty simple and also so refreshing on cold pasta, as a dip if you thicken it up a little, or as a spread on those cheese sandwiches you're eating - all you need:
 - 1 bag of frozen peas - thawed
 - Olive Oil (to taste - you control the thickness!)
 - 1 cup Basil and/or Mint (mint lightens it up just a little more)
 - 1/2 cup Parmasean cheese - I like to use the harder version of the cheese instead of grated so it can replace the texture of pinenuts in   regular pesto - pinenuts really make me unhappy
 - Blend and you are good to go! 

Comment or e-mail us some of the things you've whipped up in your kitchen from pantry-found ingredients and we will try and whip it up and let you know how it goes in a post!

Enjoy the great indoors,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment