Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Viva La Espana

After spending 5 1/2 weeks in Spain last year, I became an even bigger believer in the theory that a good meal can simply consist of appetizers. I LOVE apps. They're the best part of the meal, easily. Spanish tapas, served with small portions in an encouraged family-style sharing atmosphere really does make a meal more enjoyable. I'm also a huge fan of Greek tapas (as featured at Cava Mezze Grill - @cavamezze or @ChefDcava on Twitter). This past Friday BF and I headed out for tapas and sangria to celebrate the upcoming long weekend. After beginning with beers at RFD (810 7th Street NW), we headed down the street to La Tasca (@latascadc on Twitter). It wasn't as crowded as it normally is on a Friday night - I'm attributing this to the fleeing of the natives for the weekend) and we sort of scored prime seats downstairs at the smaller bar. We had to hang out around it for a bit until other people got up, but once they did we had a great time eating $3 tapas plates (I could LIVE on patatas bravas - although it would mean I'd have to spend every other waking moment at the gym!) and $15 pitchers of sangria, which comes in a variety of flavors. My personal favorite is Cava Sangria - a mix of sparkling wine, white grape juice and blueberries. Warning - I tried a blueberry once and it was NOT good. Really sour and hard. We also always get the extra alcohol (called a "booster shot" - extra brandy and triple sec) to throw in there as I really don't find the original to have a lot in it by itself. This time we got the original Sangria Tinta - red wine with apples and oranges, and three different types of tapas. It was the perfect small meal for two. 

The seating is a bit of a challenge at La Tasca - definitely get there early if you want to take advantage of their Happy Hour prices (only available at the bar) as it overall is not a cheap dinner. Also, if you want to go for a nice meal I'd recommend choosing your own tapas and avoiding the set tasting menus - its so much nicer to mix and match and ends up being a little bit less, especially if there are only two of you. The other downside - no outdoor seating! The downstairs is very intimate though and really tries to bring Spain to the USA. I'll be going back and dragging E along with me!

Besos!

T

Note from E - My little brother and I had the seafood paella at La Tosca when he visited DC.  It rocked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment