Monday, June 27, 2011

The Best Food Can be Hidden...in a Warehouse? - El Pollo Rico

Chicken is one of the most universal foods, every culture has a different way of cooking it and making chicken their own.  I have cooked and bought chicken prepared thousands of ways throughout my lifetime, some memorable, others not so much. Now I can say I have had my all time favorite: El Pollo Rico.  Located in a building resembling a warehouse in Arlington's Virginia Square neighborhood, El Pollo Rico is home to the best chicken I have ever had.  Cooked to perfection over an open flame on a rotisserie and covered with arguably the most delicious, albeit secret, spice blend, the chicken at El Pollo Rico is juicy and bursting with flavor.  El Pollo Rico offers just a handful of choices on its menu, but with chicken so good there really isn't any menu expansion needed.  I chose a quarter chicken with steak fries and cole slaw, T was a bit more health conscious than me and opted for the rice in place of the steak fries.  Although this wasn't my first time enjoying El Pollo Rico, it was the first time for T, who seemed pretty impressed with the succulent chicken and perfectly cooked sides.  Speaking of sides, I can't tell you how truly phenomenal they are.  Although I usually find rice pretty bland unless it is covered in some sort of sauce, the rice T got was actually a fantastic stand-alone dish.  My steak fries were perfect - slightly crispy but still soft in the middle.  The cole slaw, a dish many people steer clear of, is fresh with a perfect crunch, and I think it could turn anyone into a cole slaw fan.  Thought it couldn't get better?  Well wait until you have one of two delicious dipping sauces that come with your chicken - a spicy salsa verde and a more mayo based sauce that brings out the spice flavors even more.  It is the most perfect meal I have ever had; I don't know how to express my love for this restaurant any other way - it is just the best, bottom line.  Oh, I forgot the best part; the whole meal rings up at $5.65.  If you are looking for the best chicken in the world (don't just take if from us, Anthony Bourdain - @NoReservations - also sings El Pollo Rico's praises) look no further than El Pollo Rico.  I can say confidently that it will make you and your wallet very, very happy.

A quick note from T: Chicken can be very meh sometimes - I eat a LOT of it and tend to get bored. Never again - for real. EPR was amazing - I highly recommend!

Love, E

El Pollo Rico
932 N. Kenmore Street
Arlington, VA
 
and

El Pollo Rico
13470 Minnieville Road
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Who would think the most amazing chicken would be in here?

Cooked to perfection

T's choice - rice, slaw, best chicken ever, salsa verde, and mayo-based mystery sauce (yum!)

My dinner - I can't say no to a crispy steak fry...

No comments:

Post a Comment