Thursday, June 23, 2011

My First Macaron

On my way home from an event last night I found myself in Eastern Market, talking my coworker into going on an adventure to find the newest Macaroon bakery - The Sweet Lobby (www.thesweetlobby.com; @thesweetlobby on Twitter). I'm going to confess here - I had yet to try a macaroon despite all my travels overseas. I know - unforgivable. However, I'm almost glad I waited. After trying to remember the shop name (The Sweet Shop?), we stumbled upon the hole in the wall bakery on 8th Street. Open only a week, the small shop had several different products including macarons (slightly different spelling than the ones we are used to), cupcakes, freshly brewed tea and several different types of shortbread cookies. I had to go with the macarons though - and boy, am I glad I did. I settled for 6 this time (with tax - $10.18) - they also come in batches of 10 and all the way up to 40. As it was the end of the day, the flavors were running a little low, but I chose orange blossom, cappuccino, two salted caramel, passion fruit, milk chocolate, and lavender. BF and I tried the cappuccino one and let me tell you - it might have been worth the wait. The outside shell was crunchy but sweet and the inside was incredibly smooth and flavorful - the coffee flavor wasn't overpowering and the textures were spot on. I'm saving the rest to share with E so I can make her a fan of The Sweet Lobby too. They're a little pricey - over $1 for just one, but if you're looking for a small pick-me-up I'd recommend it. 


Such Cute Packaging!

Fun packaging makes it more fun to eat...


Gorgeous coloring - check out the bright blue lavender one on the end!


Cappuccino - delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment