Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Big Cheese Truck

My cheese addiction started many years ago at my parent's first home in the Carolinas (before our move up north).  It was mid-summer and in the middle of a massive thunder storm.  As a 3 year old nothing scared me more than thunder so my dad decided the best way to make me feel better was to make little pizzas out of English Muffins (these later became a staple in my college years - thanks dad!).  My dad sliced the muffins and I did my usual job of getting the fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce from the fridge, my dad sliced the mozz and then something magical happened - he left the room.  I was stunned and elated, I had the mozzarella all to myself.  I dominated that mozzarella.  Nothing could stop me, and from them on, I have been a cheese fanatic. 

After moving to DC, I was lucky enough to meet boyfriend, a man who shares this love of cheese with me.  After many trips to Dean & Deluca we found the best cheese....ever.  Midnight Moon, a hard goat cheese of the gods.  This brings me to today - the day i went to the Big Cheese Truck (@bigcheesetruck http://bigcheesetruck.com/

It's really hot out today so it took some convincing from coworkers to get me to walk a few blocks over to the truck.  



Once I got there I took a look at the board and silently freaked out when I saw a Midnight Moon sandwich.  Hell. Yes.

Someday I want to try everything on this menu


The folks working at the truck were great, and they let me go and get cash after my order since their credit card machine was down for the day (they usually do take cards).  I waited about 7 or 8 minutes and then walked very, very quickly back to my office, which made the rest of my body pretty unhappy due to the heat and the sort of uncomfortable leather straps on my espadrilles, but I was thinking only with my taste buds at that point.  In an effort to be slightly health conscious, and also to be nice, I made the biggest mistake of my day...I offered half of the sandwich to my coworker in exchange for some homemade turkey chili.  Big mistake.  

Perfection: pre-sharing disaster


To quote Guy Fieri, this sandwich was "off the chain."  The bread was great quality and the midnight moon is creamy, smooth, and tangy - and don't forget the sweet and delicious flavor of the caramelized onions.  The balance of flavor was nothing short of perfect, if I wanted to change it up maybe I would add some jam, but I don't think the extra flavor would do the Midnight Moon justice.  When I finished my half I was so excited to have more...except I had given it away.  While I am all for sharing, I think a sandwich from the Big Cheese Truck should be enjoyed solo...it's just too good not to keep to yourself.


AFTERMATH


That is how I made the best and worst decision of the day in less than an hour.  Don't be like me.

Love, E


[edit] : CYPRESS GROVE makes Midnight Moon, I did the wrong research:see the tweet below from @AfinaCheese - I am really sorry for the mix up - either way VERY excited to test out Cowgirl Creamery here in DC this weekend and very appreciative.  Thank you.


@AfinaCheese Cowgirl does not make midnight moon. It is made in The Netherlands for Cypress Grove, a Cali company.

New cheese store I am dying to check out - COWGIRL CREAMERY 
You can find them in Penn Quarter at the address below, online at http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com or on Twitter (@cowgirlcheesedc).  

Cowgirl Creamery
919 F Street NW, Penn Quarter, Washington DC
202.393.6880

Open Monday thru Saturday 

1 comment:

  1. Midnight Moon is not made by Cowgirl Creamery, it is made by Cypress Grove.

    ReplyDelete